Dog Nutcracker

Dog Nutcracker

Apr 06

 

 

The Holiday lull is over, it’s Spring and restoration work is starting to roll into the shop again.

 

Here’s a really nice dog nutcracker that came in with a chipped ear.

 

Seems to be a common break on these.

 

 

 

Here’s a picture of it in process with new wood joined and ready to be carved:

 

 

 

Here’s the dog all fixed up and ready to be shipped home:

 

 

 

This is a really nice piece and the customer was very happy with how well the repair came out.

 

 

More Props

More Props

Dec 15

 

Another prop project!

 

This one was a request for cones/ spikes for a movie project at Kent State University.

 

These were turned from a solid pine 4×4.

 

 

 

Here’s one of cones/ spikes fresh off the lathe:

 

 

 

Here are the rest before they were picked up:

 

 

 

 

As the holidays approach, the shop projects drop off a little so you know what that means…

 

It’s time to get ready for Christmas!!!!

 

 

Arab Figural Nutcracker

Arab Figural Nutcracker

Nov 09

 

 

Here’s a unique nutcracker that came to the shop missing a jaw.

 

 

 

The piece was disassembled, the broken area flat spotted, and new wood added.

 

 

 

 

Here’s the piece all done with the new wood blended to match up seamlessly with the original.

 

 

The finish on the piece was also refreshed to bring out the details and make the piece pop.

 

 

 

 

 

The customer suggested I carve the piece with a soul patch.

 

 

Honestly that was a great suggestion, it works, and really looks great on this piece!

 

A not so Simple Groden!

A not so Simple Groden!

Feb 18

 

I was contacted by a customer who purchased a Groden that had been previously repaired.

 

The mouth was repaired in such a way that it threw the alignment off and set the chest too far back in. (*click on photos for a larger view)

 

 

 

 

On a less rare piece where authenticity isn’t an issue, moving the pin would be an option.

 

On a rare piece like a Groden, the less the original wood on the piece is disturbed, the better.

 

Getting the chest to line up, required a lot of material to be removed from the previously repaired mouth which then pushed the mouth too far back into the piece and out of alignment.

 

 

 

 

To fix this, new wood was added to the mouth to build it back out.

 

 

 

 

The new wood was then carved, blended, and stained to match the original finish and the aged patina on the piece.

 

 

 

 

 

This is a lot of work, but it’s worth it to not disturb the original wood and maintain this piece’s authenticity.

 

—–Brandon

 

Carving Copier 2.0

Carving Copier 2.0

Jul 15

 

Well, it’s been a while since my last post.

 

Been working on some big things in the shop and it’s too early to reveal any details.

 

To get ready, though, I resurrected the carving copier I built a few years back.

 

This is version 2.0 which I replaced the drawer slides (X axis) on the original with linear bearings and rails (20 mm X 30 inches) like I used on the Z and Y axis.

 

 

 

 

 

This improvement makes the copier much smoother, dead on accurate, and gets rid of the racking issue I had with the drawer slides.

Face repair

Face repair

Sep 17

 

Just finished repairing a great really old (1700’s) Boxwood piece.

 

This came in with most of the face missing and a pretty big chunk missing from the front of the lever.

 

Here are a couple pictures when it came in:

 

face_b4_2

 

face_b4_1

 

Here’s a photo of it in process of being repaired.

 

New Boxwood has been attached, carved, and is waiting to be stained and blended.

 

face_wip_1

 

Here are a couple photos of the piece done:

 

face_after_4

 

face_after_3

 

face_after_2

 

face_after_1

 

This was a challenging repair.

 

I want to thank Arlene Wagner from the Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum for sending me reference photos of pieces she has from this time period so I could make sure the details I needed to add were authentic to the piece.

 

—– Brandon