A not so Simple Groden!

A not so Simple Groden!

Feb 18


I was contacted by a customer who purchased a Groden that had been previously repaired.


The mouth was repaired in such a way that it threw the alignment off and set the chest too far back in. (*click on photos for a larger view)





On a less rare piece where authenticity isn’t an issue, moving the pin would be an option.


On a rare piece like a Groden, the less the original wood on the piece is disturbed, the better.


Getting the chest to line up, required a lot of material to be removed from the previously repaired mouth which then pushed the mouth too far back into the piece and out of alignment.





To fix this, new wood was added to the mouth to build it back out.





The new wood was then carved, blended, and stained to match the original finish and the aged patina on the piece.






This is a lot of work, but it’s worth it to not disturb the original wood and maintain this piece’s authenticity.




Anri from the Netherlands

Anri from the Netherlands

Dec 16


Back in August I got an email from Fran – Vintage Breda (Etsy) politely asking if I would mind if they mentioned me as a resource to fix an Anri Sailor they were going to post for sale.


The piece went up for sale in November and I let one of my customers who has a great Anri collection know about it.


He bought the piece immediately and had the piece drop shipped at my shop for repairs.


Here’s the piece as it arrived fresh from the Netherlands:



Got new wood glued in place:



I started working on the piece then noticed it had a couple holes too:




Here’s the piece all fixed and fully restored (remember-simply click on the image to see a larger version):





This is a great piece.


The restoration turned out great and this piece will be heading to it’s new home soon.


—– Brandon



Tis the season

Tis the season

Dec 03



I can’t believe it’s December already!


Tis the season to be busy getting ready for Christmas!


Spent the day rebuilding outdoor ornaments.



While I was busy doing that, I had the 3d printer churning out cookie cutters.



Today was unseasonably warm in Ohio so I took advantage of it and winterized the pond too.


Lots more to do so stay tuned!

Black Forest Gnome

Black Forest Gnome

Oct 31


Here’s a great gnome carved in the Black Forest style.


It came in with a broken beard.



Got it all fixed up and made a custom base for it.




This piece came out great and has been added to my own personal collection.


A big thank you goes out to one of my blog readers for sending me the link to this piece on Ebay!


—– Brandon

The Pond

The Pond

Jul 22


Well, I’ve been taking a break from sculpting & carving to get caught up on some projects around the homestead.


We have a small garden pond we thoroughly enjoy..


It has fish and attracts a lots of wildlife (birds, butterflies, and frogs).


It’s had many waterfalls over the many years.


Missy found a great deal on a lighted spillway at Marc’s. So I tore out the old waterfall and put this one in.




The new waterfall looked nice, but it still need a little something.


So I found some LED pond lights on Amazon, but they needed a little weatherproofing (silicone and heat shrink tubing) before I could install them.


Here’s a pic of them being bench tested while the silicone I added dries.




Here’s a great pic of the pond all done and lit up.




I really like it and and think this is the last change for a while

Carving Copier 2.0

Carving Copier 2.0

Jul 15


Well, it’s been a while since my last post.


Been working on some big things in the shop and it’s too early to reveal any details.


To get ready, though, I resurrected the carving copier I built a few years back.


This is version 2.0 which I replaced the drawer slides (X axis) on the original with linear bearings and rails (20 mm X 30 inches) like I used on the Z and Y axis.






This improvement makes the copier much smoother, dead on accurate, and gets rid of the racking issue I had with the drawer slides.